Lifestyle Changes to Manage Osteoporosis
General Guidelines for Managing Osteoporosis
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Exercise regularly.
- Do not smoke.
- Avoid excess alcohol and caffeine.
- Practice fall prevention.
- Floors—Remove all loose wires, cords, and throw rugs. Minimize clutter. Make sure rugs are anchored and smooth. Keep furniture in its accustomed place.
- Bathrooms—Install grab bars and non-skid tape in the tub or shower.
- Lighting—Make sure halls, stairways, and entrances are well lit. Install a night light in your bathroom. Turn lights on if you get up in the middle of the night.
- Kitchen—Install non-skid rubber mats near sink and stove. Clean spills immediately.
- Stairs—Make sure treads, rails, and rugs are secure.
- Other precautions—Wear sturdy, rubber-soled shoes. Keep your intake of alcoholic beverages to a minimum. Ask your doctor whether any of your medications might cause you to fall.
When to Contact Your Doctor
- If you have fallen and you think you may have broken a bone or need help preventing more falls
- If you need assistance developing a healthful diet or exercise program
- If you need assistance quitting smoking or drinking
Calcium and vitamin D: What you need to know. National Osteoporosis Foundation website. Available at: http://www.nof.org/articles/10 . Accessed July 22, 2013.
Calcium and vitamin D for treatment and prevention of osteoporosis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Updated June 25, 2013. Accessed July 22, 2013.
Massey LK. Is caffeine a risk factor for bone loss in the elderly? Am J Clin Nutr . 2001;74(5):569-570.
Osteoporosis overview. NIH Osteoporosis and Related Bone Diseases National Resource Center website. Available at: http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health%5FInfo/Bone/Osteoporosis/overview.asp . Accessed July 22, 2013.
What women need to know. National Osteoporosis Foundation website. Available at: http://www.nof.org/articles/235 . Accessed July 22, 2013.
10/6/06 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php : Cockayne S, Adamson J, Lanham-New S, et al. Vitamin K and the prevention of fractures: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Arch Intern Med . 2006;166(12):1256-1261.
3/12/2010 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php : Alekel DL, Van Loan MD, Koehler KJ, et al. The soy isoflavones for reducing bone loss (SIRBL) study: a 3-y randomized controlled trial in postmenopausal women. Am J Clin Nutr . 2010;91(1):218-230.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 06/2013 -
- Update Date: 06/01/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.