Risk Factors for Osteoarthritis
- Past injury to a joint
- Previous surgery to the joint
- History of infection in a joint
- Inherited abnormalities of the joint
- Weakness of muscles around a joint
- Acromegaly (a pituitary disorder)
- Paget’s disease of bone
- Are overweight
- Work at a job or participate intensely in an athletic pursuit that requires a lot of lifting, squatting,or repetitive joint use
Osteoarthritis. Arthritis Foundation website. Available at: http://www.arthritis.org/conditions-treatments/disease-center/osteoarthritis . Accessed July 23, 2013.
Osteoarthritis. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases website. Available at: http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health%5FInfo/Osteoarthritis/default.asp. Updated July 2010. Accessed July 23, 2013.
Sinusas, K. Osteoarthritis: Diagnosis and treatment. Am Fam Physician. 2012;85(1):49-56.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 06/2013 -
- Update Date: 06/01/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.