Medications for Melanoma
- Vemurafenib (Zelboraf)
- Melanoma vaccines—researchers are studying vaccines that may help the body fight melanoma; currently only available in clinical trials
- Tumor infiltrating lymphocytes (TILs)—special cells that show promise in shrinking tumors are being studied
- Genetically altered T-cells—cells in the body that when altered may be able to shrink tumor cells
- Gene therapy—researchers are studying ways to alter genes so that they fight melanoma more effectively
Bedikian AY, Johnson MM, et al. Systemic therapy for unresectable metastatic melanoma: impact of biochemotherapy on long-term survival. J Immunotoxicol . 2008 Apr;5(2):201-7.
Eggermont AM, Robert C. New drugs in melanoma: It's a whole new world. Eur J Cancer . 2011 Sep;47(14):2150-2157.
Hancock BW, Wheatley K, et al. Adjuvant interferon in high-risk melanoma: the AIM HIGH Study—United Kingdom Coordinating Committee on Cancer Research randomized study of adjuvant low-dose extended-duration interferon Alfa-2a in high-risk resected malignant melanoma. J Clin Oncol . 2004;22(1):11-4;7-10.
Lens M. The role of vaccine therapy in the treatment of melanoma. Expert Opin Biol Ther . 2008 Mar;8(3):315-23. Review.
Lipson EJ, Drake CG. Ipilimumab: an anti-CTLA-4 antibody for metastatic melanoma. Clin Cancer Res . 2011 Sep 7.
Melanoma. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us . Updated April 3, 2013. Accessed April 10, 2013.
Melanoma skin cancer. American Cancer Society website. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003120-pdf.pdf . Updated January 17, 2013. Accessed April 10, 2013.
Melanoma treatment. Treatment options by stage. National Cancer Institute website. Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/melanoma/Patient/page5 . Updated March 29, 2013. Accessed April 10, 2013.
Stein JA, Brownell I. Treatment approaches for advanced cutaneous melanoma. J Drugs Dermatol . 2008 Feb;7(2):175-9.
- Reviewer: Mohei Abouzied, MD, FACP
- Review Date: 03/2015 -
- Update Date: 03/15/2015 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.