Talking to Your Doctor About Lyme Disease
- Bring someone else with you. It helps to have another person hear what is said and ask questions that you have not thought to ask.
- Write out your questions ahead of time, so you don't forget them.
- Write down the answers you get. Ask for clarification, if necessary.
- Don't be afraid to ask questions or to learn where you can find more information about your condition. You have a right to know.
- What is Lyme disease?
- How do you get Lyme disease?
- What does a tick that carries Lyme disease look like?
- What should I do if I get a tick on me?
- How do I safely remove a tick if I find one?
- Can you test the tick to see if it carries Lyme disease?
- Based on my medical history and lifestyle, am I at risk for Lyme disease?
- How do I best prevent Lyme disease?
- How do I know if I might have Lyme disease?
- Is there a test for Lyme disease?
- How do I best treat Lyme disease?
- What medications are available to help me?
- What are the benefits/side effects of these medications?
- Will these medications interact with other medications, over-the-counter products, or dietary or herbal supplements that I am already taking for other conditions?
- Will the medications cure me of the disease?
- Are there any alternative or complementary therapies that will help me?
- Can I continue my regular activities?
- What can I do to prevent being bitten by a tick?
- How do I know that my prevention or treatment program is effective?
- Once I am treated, can Lyme disease come back?
- Is Lyme disease contagious?
- Can I get it again if another tick bites me?
Frequently asked questions. American Lyme Disease Foundation website. Available at: http://www.aldf.com/faq.shtml . Accessed October 5, 2008.
Lyme disease. Lyme Disease Foundation website. Available at: http://www.lyme.org/contents%20pages/front.htm . Accessed October 5, 2008.
Lyme disease. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases website. Available at: http://www3.niaid.nih.gov/topics/lymeDisease . Accessed October 5, 2008.
- Reviewer: David L. Horn, MD, FACP
- Review Date: 12/2014 -
- Update Date: 12/20/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.