Lifestyle Changes to Manage Lipid Disorders
- Eat a diet low in saturated and trans fat and cholesterol.
- Exercise regularly.
- Lose excess weight.
- Drink alcohol only in moderation.
- Quit smoking.
- Treat chronic medical conditions
- Limit calories from saturated fat to fewer than 7% of your total calorie intake and cholesterol to less than 200 mg per day.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables per day,.
- Aim for plenty of fiber. Fiber which can be found in whole grain foods like oatmeal may help control cholesterol levels.
- Eat oily fish that are high in omega-3 fatty acids twice a week.
- Limit excess carbohydrates.
- Signs of heart attack: squeezing chest pain, pain in the left arm, lightheadedness, nausea, a cold sweat, or shortness of breath
- Signs of stroke: numbness, weakness, lightheadedness, loss of balance, or trouble with vision, speech, or walking
- Signs of peripheral artery disease: leg pain or change in color of extremities
How is high blood cholesterol treated? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute website. Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hbc/treatment.html. Updated September 19, 2012. Accessed January 13, 2014.
Hypercholesterolemia. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated November 20, 2013. Accessed January 13, 2014.
Hypertriglyceridemia. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated November 20, 2013. Accessed January 13, 2014.
Prevention and treatment of high cholesterol. American Heart Association website. Available at: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/PreventionTreatmentofHighCholesterol/Prevention-and-Treatment-of-High-Cholesterol%5FUCM%5F001215%5FArticle.jsp. Updated May 1, 2013. Accessed January 13, 2014.
12/14/2009 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: Ferdowsian HR, Barnard ND. Effects of plant-based diets on plasma lipids. Am J Cardiol. 2009;104(7):947-956.
- Reviewer: Mike Woods, MD
- Review Date: 12/2013 -
- Update Date: 00/10/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.