Treatments for Kidney Stones
- Drink 2-3 quarts of water a day.
- Take pain medication as needed.
- Take antibiotics if an infection is suspected.
- Save the stone (catch in a cup or a sieve during urination). Knowing what kind of stone it is can help you prevent a recurrence.
Coe FL, Evan A, Worcester E. Kidney stone disease. J Clin Invest. 2005;115:2598-2608.
Parmar MS. Kidney stones. Brit Med J. 328:1120-1124.
- Reviewer: Adrienne Carmack, MD
- Review Date: 03/2014 -
- Update Date: 04/29/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.