Conditions InDepth: Insomnia
- A life crisis or stress
- A change in the sleep environment, including factors such as noise, light, or temperature
- Sleep/wake schedule problems, such as those due to jet lag or temporary shift work
- Side effects of medication
- Manic disorders
- Stress in relationships
- Conditions that cause chronic pain
- Kidney disease
- Heart failure
- Sleep apnea
- Restless legs syndrome
- Parkinsons disease
- Dementia or Alzheimers disease
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Sickle cell disease
- Misuse of nicotine , caffeine , alcohol , or other substances
- Disrupted sleep/wake cycles from shift work or other nighttime activity schedules
- Chronic stress
- Expecting to have difficulty sleeping and worrying about it
- Excessive napping in the afternoon or evening
Can't Sleep? What to know about insomnia. National Sleep Foundation website. Available at: http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/sleep-related-problems/insomnia-and-sleep . Accessed May 15, 2013.
Insomnia. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Updated April 11, 2013. Accessed May 15, 2013.
Insomnia. Quick Answers to Medical Diagnosis and Therapy. Access Medicine website. Available at: http://accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aid=3267380 . Accessed May 15, 2013
Parmet S, Burke A, Glass RM. Insomnia. JAMA Patient Page . 2006 June 28.295(24).
What is insomnia? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute website. Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/inso/ . Updated December 13, 2011. Accessed May 15, 2013.
- Reviewer: Marcin Chwistek, MD
- Review Date: 03/2015 -
- Update Date: 03/15/2015 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.