Risk Factors for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Sex —Women are twice as likely as men to develop IBS.
- Age —Symptoms of this condition typically begin in young adulthood.
- Stress —While emotional stress is always part of the disease and may aggravate symptoms, there is no evidence that stress causes the disease.
Fauci AS, Braunwald E, et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine . 14th ed. New York, NY: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2000.
- Reviewer: Daus Mahnke, MD
- Review Date: 12/2013 -
- Update Date: 01/15/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.