Lifestyle Changes to Manage Hypertension
- Lose excess weight.
- Eat a heart healthy diet.
- Monitor sodium intake.
- Quit smoking.
- Take prescribed medications.
- Drink alcohol only in moderation.
- Exercise regularly.
- Manage stress.
Manage Related Conditions
Drink Alcohol Only in Moderation
- Maintain regular communication with your health care team, adhere to your treatment plan, and go to any recommended appointments. Your needs may change over time. Regular contact with your healthcare team will help you stay on top of any changes.
- Be an active participant in your care. Talk to your team about symptoms or treatments that you are having difficulty with. Other treatments options may be available to help you better manage your hypertension.
Hypertension. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated February 12, 2014. Accessed February 28, 2014.
How is high blood pressure treated? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute website. Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hbp/treatment.html. Updated August 2, 2012. Accessed February 28, 2014.
Prevention & treatment of high blood pressure. American Heart Association website. Available at: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HighBloodPressure/PreventionTreatmentofHighBloodPressure/Prevention-Treatment-of-High-Blood-Pressure%5FUCM%5F002054%5FArticle.jsp. Updated June 6, 2012. Accessed February 28, 2014.
- Reviewer: Michael J. Fucci, DO
- Review Date: 09/2013 -
- Update Date: 00/22/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.