Diagnosis of Gestational Diabetes
Glucose Tolerance Test
- Three days before the test, eat a diet that contains at least 150 grams of carbohydrates a day.
- For 10-14 hours before the test, do not eat or drink anything, except water.
|Time||Blood glucose values|
|Fasting||95 mg/dL (5.3 mmol/L)|
|1 hour||180 mg/dL (10 mmol/L)|
|2 hours||155 mg/dL (8.6 mmol/L)|
|3 hours||140 mg/dL (7.8 mmol/L)|
- HbA1c test (shows average glucose levels the past 2-4 months)
- Urine tests
- Thyroid function tests
- Tests to monitor the fetus (for example, ultrasound )
Gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM). EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated July 11, 2012. Accessed August 17, 2012.
Screening and diagnosis of gestational diabetes mellitus. Committee Opinion No. 504. American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Obstet Gynecol. 2011;118:751-753.
What I need to know about gestational diabetes. National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse (NDIC) website. Available at: http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/gestational/#7. Updated December 6, 2011. Accessed August 17, 2012.
- Reviewer: Andrea Chisholm, MD
- Review Date: 09/2014 -
- Update Date: 09/17/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.