Lifestyle Changes to Manage Endometriosis
- Avoid constipation, which may intensify symptoms, by drinking plenty of fluids and eating a high-fiber diet including fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grain products.
- Consider practicing relaxation techniques to help you cope more effectively with the emotional stress that often accompanies chronic or recurrent pain. Examples include meditation, deep breathing, progressive relaxation, yoga, and biofeedback. By quieting your mind and relaxing your muscles, these techniques can help you recognize and release tension.
- If you have pelvic or lower abdominal pain that interferes with the quality of your life
- If you have severe pain related to your menstrual periods
- If you have pelvic pain during sex
- If you have pain or bleeding when you urinate
- If you are unable to become pregnant
Kistner’s Gynecology and Women’s Health. 7th ed. Mosby-Year Book; 1999.
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development website. Available at: http://www.nichd.nih.gov. Accessed March 1, 2006.
- Reviewer: Andrea Chisholm, MD
- Review Date: 09/2013 -
- Update Date: 09/30/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.