Reducing Your Risk of Eczema (Atopic Dermatitis)
- For bottlefed infants, using a certain kind of formula—Ask the doctor if your baby should have a hydrolyzed casein, 100% whey protein, or other hypoallergenic formula.
- For newborns who are at high risk for eczema, applying a daily moisturizer may help reduce the risk of eczema.
- Exposing your child to pets at an early age
- Having your child eat fish at an early age (before nine months)
- Taking probiotics while pregnant and after giving birth (if you are breastfeeding)
The American Academy of Dermatology website. Available at: http://www.aad.org/default.htm.
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases website. Available at: http://www.niams.nih.gov.
7/6/2009 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php: Langan SM, Flohr C, Williams HC. The role of furry pets in eczema: a systematic review. Arch Dermatol. 2007;143:1570-1577.
2/26/2010 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us: Alm B, Aberg N, Erdes L, et al. Early introduction of fish decreases the risk of eczema in infants. Arch Dis Child. 2009;94(1):11-15.
6/4/2010 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php: Alexander DD, Cabana MD. Partially hydrolyzed 100% whey protein infant formula and reduced risk of atopic dermatitis: a meta-analysis. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2010;50(4):422-430.
1/4/2011 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us: Dotterud CK, Storr O, Johnsen R, Oien T. Probiotics in pregnant women to prevent allergic disease: a randomized, double-blind trial. Br J Dermatol. 2010;163:616-623.
1/28/2015 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: Horimukai K, Morita K, et al. Application of moisturizer to neonates prevents development of atopic dermatitis. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2014 Oct;134(4):824-830.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 12/2014 -
- Update Date: 01/28/2015 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.