Reducing Your Risk of Middle Ear Infections
- Avoid exposure to cigarette smoke or smoke from wood-burning stoves.
- Consider breastfeeding your infant for at least the first six months.
- If you bottlefeed your baby, keep your baby’s head upright as much as possible.
- Reduce exposure to environmental factors that might trigger allergic reactions.
- If your child has a history of ear infections, talk to the doctor about long-term antibiotic use.
- If your child has a history of ear infections, talk to the doctor about surgery.
- Try to avoid using a pacifier or use one only when your child goes to sleep.
- Make sure that your child receives all recommended immunizations.
- Use good hand washing techniques and other practices to avoid spreading germs.
- If your child snores, ask the doctor to check for enlarged adenoids.
- What should you do about daycare?
Acute otitis media. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated June 3, 2013. Accessed September 3, 2013.
Ear infections. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/getsmart/antibiotic-use/URI/ear-infection.html. Accessed February 27, 2013. Updated September 3, 2013.
Ear infections in children. National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders website. Available at: http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/pages/earinfections.aspx. Updated February 2013. Accessed September 3, 2013.
Middle ear infections. American Academy of Pediatrics Healthy Children website. Available at: http://www.healthychildren.org/English/health-issues/conditions/ear-nose-throat/Pages/Middle-Ear-Infections.aspx. Updated May 11, 2013. Accessed September 3, 2013.
7/21/2009 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: Pavia M, Bianco A, Nobile CG, Marinelli P, Angelillo IF. Efficacy of pneumococcal vaccination in children younger than 24 months: a meta-analysis. Pediatrics. 2009;123:e1103-1110.
3/26/2010 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us: Van Den Aardweg M, Schilder A, Herkert E, Boonacker C, Rovers M. Adenoidectomy for otitis media in children. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010;(1):CD007810.
12/16/2011 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us: Azarpazhooh A, Limeback H, Lawrence HP, Shah PS. Xylitol for preventing acute otitis media in children up to 12 years of age. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011;11:CD007095.
3/31/2014 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us: Vernacchio L, Corwin MJ, et al. Xylitol syrup for the prevention of acute otitis media. Pediatrics. 2014 Feb;133(2):289-295.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 09/2013 -
- Update Date: 03/31/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.