Reducing Your Risk of Cold Sores (Herpes Simplex Type 1)
- Avoid exposure to the virus that causes cold sores.
- Avoid excessive exposure to the sun.
- Reduce physical and emotional stress.
- Practice good hygiene habits.
- Get adequate sleep and eat a healthful diet.
- Avoid touching the sores, especially avoid contact with any open cuts on your skin.
- Wash your hands often during the day.
- Take care not to spread the virus to other parts of your body such as the eyes and genital area.
Herpes labialis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated May 27, 2011. Accessed March 20, 2013.
Herpes simplex. DermNet NZ website. Available at: http://dermnetnz.org/viral/herpes-simplex.html. Updated February 6, 2013. Accessed March 20, 2013.
Kuehl B. Cold sores: how to prevent and treat them. Skin Care Guide website. Available at: http://www.skincareguide.ca/articles/herpes/to%5Fprevent%5Fcold%5Fsores.html. Accessed March 20, 2013.
- Reviewer: David L. Horn, MD
- Review Date: 03/2014 -
- Update Date: 05/02/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.