Diagnosis of Chickenpox
- Skin smear to infer the presence of chickenpox virus by staining
- Skin smear to detect chickenpox viral proteins using immunofluorescence
- Blood test to detect the presence and measure the amounts of antibodies to chickenpox virus
- Viral culture
Chickenpox. American Academy of Family Physicians website. Available at: http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor/en/diseases-conditions/chickenpox.html . Updated May 2010. Accessed May 30, 2013.
Chickenpox (varicella). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/chickenpox/ . Updated April 25, 2013. Accessed May 30, 2013.
Long S, Pickering L, Prober C. Principles and Practice of Pediatric Infectious Diseases . 3rd ed. New York, NY: Churchill Livingstone; 2008.
Varicella. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Updated April 13, 2013. Accessed May 30, 2013.
- Reviewer: David L. Horn, MD, FACP
- Review Date: 03/2015 -
- Update Date: 03/15/2015 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.