Diagnosis of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
- Severe, chronic fatigue that lasts for at least 6 months in 50% of time and is not due to another illness or medical cause
At least four of the following eight symptoms:
- Impairment of short-term memory or concentration
- Sore throat
- Tender lymph nodes
- Muscle pain
- Joint pain without swelling or redness
- Sleep that is not refreshing
- Prolonged fatigue lasting 24 hours or more after exercise
- Alanine aminotransferase (ALT) (liver test)
- Albumin (liver test)
- Alkaline phosphatase (ALP) (bone and liver test)
- Blood urea nitrogen (BUN) (kidney test)
- Complete blood count (white and red cells)
- Creatinine (kidney test)
- Electrolytes (salt and potassium)
- Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) (inflammation test)
- Globulin (liver test)
- Glucose (blood sugar)
- Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH)
- Total protein
- Transferrin saturation (iron level)
- Lyme disease antibody
- Cytomegalovirus (CMV) titer
- Test for mononucleosis (heterophile test)
- Tests for candida
- Tests for viral hepatitis
- HIV test
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Treatment. American Academy of Family Physicians Familydoctor website. Available at: http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor/en/diseases-conditions/chronic-fatigue-syndrome/diagnosis-tests.html. Updated November 2010. Accessed December 28, 2012.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Diagnosis. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/cfs/diagnosis/index.html. Updated May 16, 2012. Accessed December 28, 2012.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us. Updated November 10, 2012. Accessed December 28, 2012.
Craig T, Kakumanu S. Chronic fatigue syndrome: evaluation and treatment. Am Fam Physician. 2002;65:1083-1090. Available at: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2002/0315/p1083.html
Devanur LD, Kerr JR. Chronic fatigue syndrome. J Clin Virol. 2006;37:139-150.
Prins JB, van der Meer JW, Bleijenberg G. Chronic fatigue syndrome. Lancet. 2006;367:346-355.
- Reviewer: Marcin Chwistek, MD
- Review Date: 12/2013 -
- Update Date: 00/11/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.