Reducing Your Risk of Cataracts
- Rheumatoid arthritis or other auto-immune diseases
- Any medical condition that requires you to take steroid medications for a long period of time
- A family history of cataracts or other eye diseases
- Follow your doctor's advice to keep any chronic diseases in good control.
- Avoiding excess exposure to radiation.
- Avoiding excess exposure to sunlight. Wear a hat and ultraviolet (UV)A/UVB blocking sunglasses whenever in bright sunlight.
- Don’t smoke.
- Wear protective eyewear when participating in sports to help avoid eye injury.
American Academy of Ophthalmology website. Available at: http://www.aao.org.
Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research website. Available at: http://www.mayo.edu.
The Merck Manual of Medical Information. 17th ed. Simon and Schuster, Inc; 2000.
National Eye Institute website. Available at: http://www.nei.nih.gov.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 06/2013 -
- Update Date: 06/30/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.