Symptoms of Brain Tumors
- Cognitive and behavioral changes
- Other physical and neurological symptoms
Cognitive and Behavioral Changes
- Comprehension and/or expression of language
- Sensation and processing of sensory input
- Personality—including both increased lack of emotion or impulsiveness
- Ability to do learned movements or gestures
- Ability to process information
Other Physical and Neurological Symptoms
- Difficulty with coordination and walking
- Difficulty controlling bowels and bladder
- Weakness or loss of sensation in parts of the body
- Nausea or vomiting
Sudden Events—Seizures and Strokes
- Generalized or major motor seizures —These can cause you to pass out and shake violently. You may lose control of your urine or bowels and bite your tongue. These seizures begin in one part of the brain, but spread throughout the brain.
- Focal seizures—These type of seizures cause one part of your body to shake uncontrollably. These seizures may start in one area and progress to generalized seizures. Focal seizures may also occur without any shaking. They may or may not involve a change in consciousness.
Brain tumor. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php. Updated May 28, 2013. Accessed June 4, 2013.
Brain tumor. National Cancer Institute website. Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/brain. Accessed June 4, 2013.
Seizures. American Brain Tumor Association website. Available at: http://www.abta.org/understanding-brain-tumors/symptoms/seizures.html. Accessed June 5, 2013.
- Reviewer: Mohei Abouzied, MD
- Review Date: 05/2014 -
- Update Date: 05/07/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.