Carpal Tunnel Injection
|Carpal Tunnel Syndrome|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Reasons for Procedure
- No improvement in symptoms
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
Description of the Procedure
How Long Will It Take?
Will It Hurt?
- Apply ice or a cold pack to the affected area for 15-20 minutes each time. Do not apply ice directly to your skin. First, wrap the ice or cold pack in a towel, then place it on your skin.
- Take over-the-counter pain medicine.
- Avoid strenuous activity involving joint for 48 hours
Call Your Doctor
- Signs of infection, including fever and chills
- Redness, swelling, increasing pain, excessive bleeding, or any discharge from the incision site
- Pain that you cannot control with the medicines you have been given
American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons http://www.aaos.org/
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke http://www.ninds.nih.gov/
The Arthritis Society of Canada http://www.arthritis.ca/
College of Family Physicians of Canada http://www.cfpc.ca/
Carpal tunnel steroid injection. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Updated July 2009. Accessed August 8, 2009.
Carpal tunnel syndrome fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke website. Available at: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/carpal%5Ftunnel/detail%5Fcarpal%5Ftunnel.htm . Accessed February 28, 2007.
Joint and soft tissue injections. American Academy of Family Physicians website. Available at: http://familydoctor.org/774.xml . Accessed February 28, 2007.
- Reviewer: Teresa Briedwell, DPT, OCS
- Review Date: 09/2013 -
- Update Date: 09/30/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.