Diagnosis of Nutritional Anemia
- Iron deficiency, which can be detected in the results of your CBC
- Hidden blood loss, which may appear to be iron deficiency according to your CBC if the leak is slow enough
- B12 deficiency
- Folic acid deficiency
- Anemia associated with chronic illnesses such as rheumatoid arthritis , though this is not strictly from nutritional causes
Culleton, BF, Manns, BJ, et al. Impact of anemia on hospitalization and mortality in older adults. Blood. 2006; 107:3841.
Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 16th ed. McGraw-Hill; 2004.
Patel, KV, Harris, TB, et al. Racial variation in the relationship of anemia with mortality and mobility disability among older adults. Blood. 2007.
The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy 18th ed. Merck & Co; 2006.
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute website. Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov.
- Reviewer: Marcin Chwistek, MD
- Review Date: 09/2014 -
- Update Date: 09/17/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.