Treatments for Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
- Detoxification (the process of safely getting alcohol out of your system)
- Prescribed medications to help prevent a return (or relapse) to drinking once drinking has stopped
- Individual and/or group counseling
- Support for family members
- Referral to community resources, including support group
Huebner R. Advances in Alcoholism Treatment. Alcohol Research & Health. 2011;33:295-299.
Kleber HD, Weiss RD, et al. Practice Guideline for the Treatment of Patients with Substance Use Disorders. 2nd ed. American Psychiatric Association website. Available at: http://www.psych.org/psych%5Fpract/treatg/pg/SUD2ePG%5F04-28-06.pdf. Accessed April 14, 2007.
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism website. Available at: http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/. Accessed March 27, 2009.
- Reviewer: Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 03/2013 -
- Update Date: 03/01/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.