(Cancer of the Adrenal Cortex; Adrenal Cortical Carcinoma; Adrenal Cancer)
|Anatomy of the Adrenal Glands|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Pain in the abdomen, side, and/or back
- Nausea and vomiting
- Unintended weight loss
- Blood tests
- Urine tests
- CT scan
- MRI scan
- Positron emission tomography (PET)/CT scan
- Adrenal angiography and/or venography
Adrenalectomy Surgery to Remove the Tumor
- Mitotane is the drug most often used for this type of cancer, especially for hormonally active tumors. It blocks hormone production by the adrenal gland. It also destroys adrenal cancer cells. This drug does have serious side effects. It is sometimes given in combination with other drugs.
- Other hormone-blocking drugs may be given to control the symptoms of excess hormones.
- Research of new drug and radiation therapies are under way. This includes gene and immunotherapy.
American Cancer Society http://www.cancer.org
National Cancer Institute http://www.cancer.gov
BC Cancer Agency http://www.bccancer.bc.ca
Canadian Cancer Society http://www.cancer.ca
Abiven G, Coste J, et al. Clinical and biological features in the prognosis of adrenocortical cancer: poor outcome of cortisol-secreting tumors in a series of 202 consecutive patients. J Clin Endo & Metab. 2006;91:2650-2655.
Adrenal cortical carcinoma. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated October 14, 2013. Accessed May 27, 2014.
Adrenocortical carcinoma. National Cancer Institute website. Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/adrenocortical. Accessed May 27, 2014.
Adrenocortical carcinoma: treatment statement for health professionals. National Cancer Institute website. Available at: http://www.meb.uni-bonn.de/cancer.gov/CDR0000062907.html. Updated November 15, 2012. Accessed May 27, 2014.
Allolio B, Fassnacht M. Adrencortical carcinoma: clinical update. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2006;91:2027-37.
Detailed guide: adrenal cortical cancer. American Cancer Society website. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/adrenalcorticalcancer/index. Accessed May 27, 2014.
Kirschner LS. Review: emerging treatment strategies for adrnocortical carcinoma: a new hope. J Clin Endocinol Metab. 2006;91:14-21.
Van Ditzhuijsen cI, van de Weijer R, Haak HR: Adrenocortical carcinoma. Neth J Med. 2007;65:55-60.
- Reviewer: Mohei Abouzied, MD
- Review Date: 05/2014 -
- Update Date: 05/27/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.