(Bacterial Arthritis; Infectious Arthritis; Pyogenic Arthritis)
- Infection due to an injection
- Other infections
- A penetration wound
- An injury that affects the joint
- Joint surgery/replacement
- Staphylococcus aureus—staph infection
- Streptococcus species, such as group B strep infection
- Streptococcus pneumoniae—a common bacterial cause of pneumonia
- S. aureus
- Neisseria gonorrhoeae—the bacteria that causes gonorrhea
|Joint Damage in Knee|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Diseases that weaken the immune system, such as HIV, or taking drugs that suppress immunity
- A history of joint problems or having other types of arthritis, gout, or lupus
- A history of IV drug use
- Chronic illnesses, such as anemia, diabetes, sickle cell, and kidney failure
- Joint replacement or organ transplant surgery
- Recent joint injections, such as cortisone or hyaluronic acid
- Skin conditions, such as psoriasis and eczema
Newborn or infants
- Crying when a joint is moved, such as during a diaper change
- Inability to move the limb of a joint
- Swelling and redness
- Persistent crying for any reason
Children and adults
- Intense joint pain
- Joint swelling and redness
- Inability to move a joint or its limb
- Testing joint fluids
- Blood tests
- MRI scan
The Arthritis Foundation http://www.arthritis.org
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Disease http://www.niams.nih.gov
Arthritis Society of Canada http://www.arthritis.ca
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Ernst AA, Weiss SJ, et al. Usefulness of CRP and ESR in predicting septic joints. South Med J. 2010;103(6):522-526.
Howard A, Wilson M. Septic arthritis in children. BMJ. 2010;341:c4407.
Ma L, Cranney A, et al. Acute monoarthritis: what is the cause of my patient's painful swollen joint? CMAJ. 2009;180(1):59-65.
Septic arthritis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us . Updated April 11, 2013. Accessed August 6, 2013.
Septic arthritis. Patient UK website. Available at http://www.patient.co.uk/health/septic-arthritis-leaflet. Updated April 28, 2010. Accessed August 6, 2013.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 08/2013 -
- Update Date: 05/11/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.