Eastern Equine Encephalitis
|Effect on Encephalitis on the Brain|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Being over 50 years old or younger than 15 years old
- Having a condition that affects your immune system
- Neck stiffness
- Joint and muscle pain
- What kind of symptoms you are experiencing
- Where you have been living or traveling
- Whether you have been exposed to mosquitoes
- Mechanical ventilation (breathing support)
- IV fluids
- Medicine to control seizures
- Medicine to decrease brain swelling
- Stay inside when mosquitoes are most active (at dawn and at dusk).
- Repair screens on your windows and doors to prevent mosquitoes from getting into your house.
- Use proper mosquito netting at night. Look for netting treated with insecticide.
- When outside, wear insect repellent, long pants and long-sleeved shirts to limit exposure to bites.
- Eliminate insect breeding areas. These may include areas of standing water, like pet water bowls, rain barrels, and other containers.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention http://www.cdc.gov
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke http://www.ninds.nih.gov
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Healthy U http://www.healthyalberta.com
Eastern equine encephalitis. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/easternequineencephalitis/. Updated August 16, 2010. Accessed January 4, 2013.
Eastern equine encephalitis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us. Updated July 13, 2012. Accessed January 4, 2013.
Encephalitis: an overview. EBSCO Nursing Reference Center website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/nursing/products/nursing-reference-center. Updated March 9, 2012. Accessed January 4, 2013.
10/1/2013 DynaMed Systematic Literature Surveillance DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance : Reimer LJ, Thomsen EK, Tisch DJ, et al. Insecticidal bed nets and filariasis transmission in Papua New Guinea. N Eng J Med. 2013 Aug 22; 369(8):745-53.
- Reviewer: David L Horn, MD, FACP
- Review Date: 12/2013 -
- Update Date: 01/13/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.