Principal Proposed Treatments
- Abdominal obesity (excessive fat tissue in and around the abdomen.)
- Unhealthy cholesterol profile (some elements of the following: low HDL ("good") cholesterol, high LDL ("bad") cholesterol, and high triglycerides)
- High blood pressure
- Insulin resistance (either frank type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes)
- Prothrombotic state (increased risk of blood clots)
- Proinflammatory state (elevated levels of c-reactive protein, associated with increased rate of hardening of the arteries)
1 Metabolic syndrome. American Heart Association website. Available at: http://www.americanheart.org/ . Accessed October 15, 2006.
2 Laso N, Brugue E, Vidal J, et al. Effects of milk supplementation with conjugated linoleic acid (isomers cis-9, trans-11 and trans-10, cis-12) on body composition and metabolic syndrome components. Br J Nutr. 2007 Jul 11. [Epub ahead of print]
3 Oben J, Enonchong E, Kuate D, et al. The effects of ProAlgaZyme novel algae infusion on metabolic syndrome and markers of cardiovascular health. Lipids Health Dis. 2007 Sep 5. [Epub ahead of print]
4 Bo S, Ciccone G, Baldi C, et al. Effectiveness of a lifestyle intervention on metabolic syndrome. a randomized controlled trial. J Gen Intern Med. 2007 Oct 6. [Epub ahead of print]
5 Linares E, Thimonier C, Degre M. The effect of NeOpuntia® on blood lipid parameters-risk factors for the metabolic syndrome (syndrome X). Adv Ther. 2007;24:1115-1125.
6 Giugliano D, Ceriello A, Esposito K. Are there specific treatments for the metabolic syndrome? Am J Clin Nutr. 2008;87:8-11.
7 Ziegenfuss TN, Hofheins JE, Mendel RW, et al. Effects of a water-soluble cinnamon extract on body composition and features of the metabolic syndrome in pre-diabetic men and women. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2006;3:45-53.
8 Iqbal N, Cardillo S, Volger S, et al. Chromium picolinate does not improve key features of metabolic syndrome in obese nondiabetic adults. Metab Syndr Relat Disord. 2009 Summer;7(2):143-50.
- Reviewer: EBSCO CAM Review Board
- Review Date: 09/2014 -
- Update Date: 09/18/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.