|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Sore throat or chronic cough
- Hoarse voice
- Sour taste in mouth from acid reflux
- Difficulty or pain with swallowing, a condition called dysphagia
- Weight loss
- Fatigue, or difficulty or pain with breathing associated with anemia
- Photodynamic therapy—uses laser light
- Radiofrequency ablation—uses radiowaves
- Do not smoke. If you smoke, quit .
- If you are overweight, lose weight .
- Raise the head of your bed onto 4-6 inch blocks.
- Avoid clothes with tight belts or waistbands.
- Avoid foods that cause heartburn. These include alcohol, caffeinated beverages, chocolate, and foods that are fatty. This also includes spicy or acidic foods such as citrus or tomatoes.
- Do not eat or drink for 3-4 hours before you lie down or go to bed.
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases http://www.niddk.nih.gov
The Society of Thoracic Surgeons http://www.sts.org
Canadian Society of Intestinal Research http://www.badgut.com
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Barrett esophagus. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated January 28, 2013. Accessed April 30, 2013.
Barrett's esophagus. National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse website. Available at: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/barretts. Updated January 22, 2013. Accessed April 30, 2013.
Cameron AJ. Barrett's esophagus: prevalence and size of hiatal hernia. Am J Gastroenterol. 1999;94(8):2054-2059.
Pereira-Lima JC, Busnello JV, Saul C. High power setting argon plasma coagulation for the eradication of Barrett's esophagus. Am J Gastroenterol. 2000;95(7):1661-1668.
Rajan E, Burgart LJ, Gostout CJ. Endoscopic and histologic diagnosis of Barrett esophagus. Mayo Clin Proc. 2001;76(2):217-225.
Sampliner RE. Ablative therapies for the columnar-lined esophagus. Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 1997;26(3):685-694.
Sampliner RE, Fennerty B, Garewal HS. Reversal of Barrett's esophagus with acid suppression and multipolar electrocoagulation: preliminary results. Gastrointest Endosc. 1996;44(5):532-535.
- Reviewer: Daus Mahnke, MD
- Review Date: 03/2014 -
- Update Date: 05/07/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.