Bone Marrow Biopsy
|Bone Marrow Biopsy|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Reasons for Procedure
- Evaluate a low red blood cell count (anemia), low white blood cell count (leucopenia), or low platelet count (thrombocytopenia)
- Diagnose and stage lymphoma (tumors of the lymphoid tissues) or solid tumors
- Diagnose, monitor, and evaluate leukemias
- Evaluate iron level problems
- Research unexplained spleen enlargement (splenomegaly)
- Evaluate other blood disorders
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
- Anti-inflammatory drugs
- Blood thinners
Description of Procedure
Immediately After Procedure
How Long Will It Take?
Will It Hurt?
Call Your Doctor
- Signs of infection, including fever and chills
- Redness, swelling, increasing pain, excessive bleeding, or any discharge from the biopsy site
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Cough, shortness of breath, or chest pain
- Joint pain, fatigue, stiffness, rash, or other new symptoms
The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society http://www.lls.org/
National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health http://www.cancer.gov/
BC Cancer Agency http://www.bccancer.bc.ca/
Cancer Centre of Southeastern Ontario http://www.krcc.on.ca/
Bone marrow biopsy. Harvard Medical School website. Available at: http://www.health.harvard.edu/diagnostic-tests/bone-marrow-biopsy.htm . Accessed January 18, 2013.
Pfenninger JL, Fowler GC. Procedures for Primary Care Physicians. St. Louis, MO: Mosby-Year Book; 1994.
Wintrobe MM, Lee GR. Wintrobe's Clinical Hematology. 10th ed. Baltimore, MD: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins; 1999.
- Reviewer: Igor Puzanov, MD
- Review Date: 09/2012 -
- Update Date: 01/18/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.