Erectile Dysfunction: A Concern for Men With Diabetes
You've Got Nerves
Get a Diagnosis
Consider Seeing a Specialist
- High blood-glucose levels
- Alcohol intake
- Medications and their dosages
- Low testosterone levels
- Oral drug therapy, such as vardenafil (Levitra), tadalafil (Cialis), or sildenafil (Viagra)
- Self-injections of erection-producing agents, such as prostaglandin
- Intrapenile doses of prostaglandins (that is, inserting suppository-like capsules into the urethra)
- Vacuum pumps, which use air pressure to draw blood into the penis
- Permanent surgical implants
American Diabetes Association http://www.diabetes.org
Joslin Diabetes Center, Sexual Function Clinic http://www.joslin.harvard.edu/
National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse http://www.niddk.nih.gov
Canadian Diabetes Association http://www.diabetes.ca/
College of Family Physicians of Canada http://www.cfpc.ca/
Erectile dysfunction. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated July 25, 2012. Accessed August 5, 2012.
Diabetic Neuropathies: The Nerve Damage of Diabetes. National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse, National Institute of Health. Available at http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/neuropathies/#effect . Updated June 25, 2012. Accessed August 5, 2012
Diabetic neuropathy. EBSCO Health Library website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/pointofcare. Updated December 30, 2011. Accessed August 5, 2012.
Diabetic peripheral neuropathy. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated June 26, 2012. Accessed August 5, 2012.
- Reviewer: Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 08/2012 -
- Update Date: 08/05/2012 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.