Getting to the Heart of a Healthful Diet: Fats
Butter vs. Margarine
- Compare trans fat content. Try to find spreads with no trans fats.
- Look for the Daily Value for saturated fat and choose the lowest amount.
- Try alternative spreads made with:
- Soybean oil
- Canola oil
- Olive oil
How to Make the Change
- Use more fat-free or low-fat dairy like milk, cheese, yogurt, or cream.
- Look for lean cuts of red meat (look for Round or Sirloin)
- Substitute meals of red meat with fish.
- Replace solid fats in recipes with oil when possible.
- Try to enhance a meal with a handful nuts, beans, legumes, or seeds when you can.
- Try using walnuts or sunflower seeds as a snack substitute.
- Eat food with natural oils, like olives, nuts, avocados, or fish.
American Heart Association http://www.americanheart.org/
International Food Information Council http://ific.org/
Dietitians of Canada http://www.dietitians.ca/
Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada http://www.heartandstroke.com/
Booker CS, Mann JI: Trans fatty acids and cardiovascular health: translation of the evidence base. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2008;18:448-56.
Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2010. US Department of Agriculture and US Department of Health and Human Services. Available at: http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2010/DietaryGuidelines2010.pdf. Accessed November 20, 2012.
Dietary Recommendations for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php. Updated November 12, 2012. Accessed November 20, 2012.
Erkkila A, de Mello VD, Riserus U, Laaksonen DE: Dietary fatty acids and cardiovascular disease: an epidemiological approach. Prog Lipid Res. 2008;47:172-87
Fats 101. American Heart Association website. Available at: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/FatsAndOils/Fats101/Fats-101%5FUCM%5F304494%5FArticle.jsp. Accessed November 20, 2012.
Mensink RPM, Katan MB. Effect of dietary trans fatty acids on high-density and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in healthy subjects. N Engl J Med. 1990;323:439-445
- Reviewer: Brian P. Randall, MD
- Review Date: 11/2012 -
- Update Date: 11/20/2012 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.