Stairclimbers: Stepping Up to Fitness
Why Buy a Stairclimber?
Advantages and Disadvantages
Investigating Your Options
Programs and Intensities
- Heart rate monitoring
- Towel and water bottle holders
- Magazine/book rack
Using Stairclimbers Properly
- Think posture perfect. Lean forward slightly while keeping your abdominal muscles contracted. But do not use your arms to support your body and do not hang over the handrails. You will decrease the amount of calories you burn as well as set yourself up for injury.
- Position your feet. Many people tend to step on their tip-toes. Instead, keeping your heels flat and letting them ride naturally. Just keep your knees relaxed at all times.
- Float through the pedals. Use a smooth pedal motion as you step, not hitting the top or bottom of the pedal stroke. .
- Think light. If you are new to stairclimbing, start with a small amount of resistance. If you use too much, you risk using improper form or injuring yourself.
International Association of Athletics Federations http://www.iaaf.org/
The President's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports http://www.fitness.gov/
Canadian Academy of Sports Medicine http://www.casm-acms.org/
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/
Boreham CA, Wallace WF, Neville A. Training Effects of Accumulated Daily Stair Climbing Exercise in Previously Sedentary Young Women. Prev Med. 2000;30(4):277-281.
Buying a Home Stair Climber. Life 123 website. Available at: http://www.life123.com/health/fitness/fitness-equipment/buying-a-home-stair-climber.shtml?. Accessed December 20, 2012.
Selecting and Effectively Using an Elliptical Trainer or Stair Climber. American College of Sports Medicine website. Available at: http://www.acsm.org/docs/brochures/elliptical-trainer65974E2E8E70.pdf. Accessed December 20, 2012.
Stair Climbing. Stair Climbing Sport website. Available at: http://www.stairclimbingsport.com/. Accessed December 20, 2012.
Stair Climber. StairClimbers website. Available at: http://www.stairclimbers.com/. Accessed December 20, 2012.
Stair Climber Buying Guide. Pronto website. Available at: http://www.pronto.com/Stair-Climber-Buying-Guide. Accessed December 20, 2012.
Stair climber reviews. Med Solver website. Available at: http://www.med-solver.com/stair-climbers.html . Accessed December 20, 2012.
What' the Best Piece of Cardio Equipment to Use? American Council on Exercise website. Available at: http://www.acefitness.org/blog/613/what-s-the-best-piece-of-cardio-equipment-to-use/. Updated April 7, 2010. Accessed December 20, 2012.
- Reviewer: Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 12/2012 -
- Update Date: 12/20/2012 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.