Keeping Skin Cancer at Bay
How Aging Influences Skin Cancer Risk
- Wear clothes, like long-sleeved shirts and long pants, that will protect you from the sun. Some companies even design clothes that have a high sun protection factor.
- Wear a hat that has a 2-3 inch brim.
- Wear wrap-around sunglasses that block ultraviolet rays (UVA and UVB).
- Use sunscreen that has a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or more. Follow the directions for applying the product. It may need to be reapplied every 2 hours. Also, use a lip balm that protects you from the sun.
- Avoid outdoor activities between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm, when the sun is strongest.
- Do not go to tanning salons or use sunlamps to darken your skin.
American Cancer Society http://www.cancer.org
The Skin Cancer Foundation http://www.skincancer.org
BC Cancer Agency http://www.bccancer.bc.ca
Canadian Cancer Society http://www.cancer.ca
Basal cell carcinoma of the skin. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated December 18, 2014. Accessed December 29, 2014.
Melanoma. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated December 23, 2014. Accessed December 29, 2014.
Melanoma skin cancer. American Cancer Society website. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003120-pdf.pdf. Updated December 23, 2014. Accessed December 29, 2014.
Skin cancer: basal and squamous cell. American Cancer Society website. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003139-pdf.pdf. Updated February 20, 2014. Accessed December 29, 2014.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 12/2014 -
- Update Date: 01/29/2015 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.