(Dislocated Hip; Dislocation, Hip)
|The Hip Joint|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Severe falls, especially from heights
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Sports injuries, especially from football, rugby, skiing, and snowboarding
- Severe pain in the hip, especially when attempting to move the leg
- Pain that spreads to the legs, knees, and back
- Leg on the affected side appears shorter than the other leg
- Hip joint appears deformed
- Pain or numbness along the back of thighs if injury presses on the sciatic nerve
- Being unable to walk
- Closed reduction is unsuccessful
- Bony fragments or soft tissue remain in the joint space
- The joint remains unstable
- The thigh or pelvic bones are also broken
- Wear your seat belt in the car.
- Obey speed limits and other traffic laws.
- Wear proper safety equipment for sports.
- Use safety precautions to prevent falls when working at heights.
- Do not drink and drive.
- Follow your doctors directions to manage chronic conditions that involve the joints.
American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine http://www.sportsmed.org
OrthoInfo—American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons http://orthoinfo.aaos.org
Canadian Orthopaedic Association http://www.coa-aco.org
Canadian Orthopaedic Foundation http://www.canorth.org
Hip dislocation. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons website. Available at: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00352. Updated June 2014. Accessed March 10, 2015.
Hip dislocations. Patient UK website. Available at: http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/hip-dislocations. Updated May 28, 2014.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 03/2015 -
- Update Date: 03/01/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.