(Renal Cell Carcinoma)
|Cancer Cell Growth|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Family history of certain hereditary forms of kidney cancer
- Age: 50 years or older
- Sex: male
- Certain occupational exposures such as asbestos and aniline
- Tanning products
- Exposure to some toxins, such as astrolachia, which is an herb that is common in some Chinese herbal preparations
- Balkan nephritis
- Chronic renal stones
- Phenacetin abuse
- Tuberous sclerosis
- Dialysis treatment
- Von Hippel Lindau syndrome
- Blood in the urine
- Lower back pain or new pain elsewhere
- Shortness of breath or cough
- A lump in the abdomen
- Unplanned, significant weight loss
- Swelling of ankles, legs, and/or abdomen
- Blood tests
- Urine tests
- Radical nephrectomy—removal of the entire kidney, adrenal gland, and nearby fatty tissue and lymph nodes
- Partial nephrectomy—removal of the cancerous part of the kidney only to treat smaller tumors that have not spread locally
- Removal of metastases—removal of cancerous tissue that has spread to other parts of the body, particularly when causing symptoms
Radiation Therapy (or Radiotherapy)
- Avoid using tobacco products.
- Avoid occupational exposures.
American Cancer Society http://www.cancer.org
Kidney Cancer Association http://www.kidneycancer.org
Canadian Cancer Society http://www.cancer.ca
The Kidney Foundation of Canada http://www.kidney.ab.ca
About kidney cancer. Kidney Cancer Association website. Available at: http://www.kidneycancer.org/knowledge/learn/about-kidney-cancer/ . Updated January 29, 2013. Accessed June 20, 2013.
Kidney cancer. American Cancer Society website. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/kidneycancer/index . Accessed June 20, 2013.
Kidney cancer. National Cancer Institute website. Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/kidney . Accessed June 20, 2013.
Renal cell carcinoma. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us. Updated June 4, 2013. Accessed June 20, 2013.
- Reviewer: Mohei Abouzied, MD; Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 06/2013 -
- Update Date: 06/20/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.