- Skeleton, especially the joints
- Heart and the aorta, which is the artery that leads from the heart
- Family members with Marfan syndrome
- Increased age of parents at the time of a child's birth
- Irregular heart rhythm
- Visual difficulties, including nearsightedness and vision loss
- Problems with bones, including loose joints, curved spine, and long limbs
- Tall, thin body
- Back pain
- Breathing problems
|Interior of Heart|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- You may need to have your heart examined. This can be done with an echocardiogram.
- You will need to have a complete eye exam.
For the Heart and Blood Vessels
Regular monitoring of the heart and aorta with:
- Regular check-ups
- Avoiding strenuous exercise or contact sports as directed by your doctor
- Heart medications such as beta-blockers
- Close monitoring of pregnant women with Marfan syndrome
- Surgery to repair or replace a defective heart valve or aorta
For the Eyes
- Regular eye exams to check for eye problems
- Eyeglasses or contact lenses to correct myopia or problems with the eye lens
- Eye surgery for severe problems
For the Bones
- Regular physical exams to monitor for bone problems, especially during adolescence
- Orthopedic brace or surgery in severe cases
For the Back
For the Lungs
FamilyDoctor.org - American Academy of Family Physicians http://familydoctor.org
National Marfan Foundation http://www.marfan.org
College of Family Physicians of Canada http://www.cfpc.ca
Canadian Marfan Association http://www.marfan.ca
About Marfan syndrome. National Marfan Foundation website. Available at: http://www.marfan.org/marfan/2280/About-Marfan-Syndrome. Accessed July 30, 2013.
Marfan syndrome. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated March 21, 2013. Accessed February 14, 2013.
Moura B, Tubach F, et al; Multidisciplinary Marfan Syndrome Clinic Group. Bone mineral density in Marfan syndrome. A large case-control study. Joint Bone Spine. 2006 Sep 14
Premedication (antibiotics). American Dental Association's Mouth Healthy website. Available at: http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/p/Premedication-or-Antibiotics.aspx. Accessed July 30, 2013.
Travis J. Medicine. Old drug, new hope for Marfan syndrome. Science. 2006 Apr 7;312(5770):36-37.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 07/2013 -
- Update Date: 10/10/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.