Neurofibromatosis Type 1
(NF1; Von Recklinghausen's Disease)
|The Nervous System|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Light brown spots (called café-au-lait spots) on the skin
- Freckles in the armpits or groin
- Larger than normal head circumference in children
- Shorter than normal stature in children
- Problems with growth of spine ( scoliosis ), bones of skull, or shin bones
Neurofibromas (tumors that grow on a nerve or nerve tissue)— rarely occur before puberty
- These tumors can progress to become aggressive malignant tumors.
- Growths on the iris of the eye (called Lisch nodules or hamartomas)
- Tumor on the optic nerve that may affect vision (optic nerve gliomas)
Children's Tumor Foundation http://www.ctf.org/
Neurofibromatosis, Inc. http://www.nfnetwork.org/
The British Columbia Neurofibromatosis Foundation http://bcnf.bc.ca/
NF Canada http://www.nfcanada.ca/
Neurofibromatosis. Children's Tumor Foundation website. Available at: http://www.ctf.org/Learn-About-NF/Learn-About-NF.html . Accessed October 21, 2013.
Neurofibromatosis type 1. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Updated August 27, 2010. Accessed October 21, 2013.
NINDS neurofibromatosis information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke website. Available at: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/neurofibromatosis/detail%5Fneurofibromatosis.htm . Accessed October 21, 2013.
Your Genes Your Health website. Available at: http://www.yourgenesyourhealth.org/nf/whatisit.htm . Accessed October 21, 2013.
- Reviewer: Rimas Lukas, MD
- Review Date: 08/2013 -
- Update Date: 05/11/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.