Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
- Being outdoors in areas known to have RMSF especially from April to September
- Exposure to tick-infested areas such as long grass, weeds, or low brush
- Exposure to dogs
- Not using preventative steps (listed below)
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal pain
- Muscle or joint pain
- Lack of appetite
- Red eyes
- Light hurting the eyes
- Lethargy or altered mental status
- Severe bleeding
- Difficulty breathing
|Immune System Including Spleen and Lymph Nodes|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Wear light-colored clothing. This makes ticks are more visible.
- Tuck pant legs inside socks. This stops ticks from crawling up under your pants.
Apply insect repellents containing DEET (applied to exposed skin). Apply permethrin to clothing.
- For young children, DEET should be avoided or used sparingly. Carefully follow the directions on the label.
- Carefully check your entire body for ticks after returning from outdoor areas.
- Check pets for ticks.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention http://www.cdc.gov
National Library of Medicine http://www.nlm.nih.gov
Canadian Family Physician http://www.cfpc.ca
Public Health Agency of Canada http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca
Rocky Mountain spotted fever. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/rmsf/symptoms/index.html#considerations. Updated April 30, 2012. Accessed May 21, 2013.
Rocky mountain spotted fever. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php. Updated April 10, 2013. Accessed May 21, 2013.
- Reviewer: David L Horn, MD, FACP
- Review Date: 12/2013 -
- Update Date: 01/13/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.