(Cervical Sprain and Neck Muscle Strain)
- Spraining the neck ligaments
- Straining the neck muscles
- Injury to cervical discs
- Possible nerve injury
|Process Leading to Whiplash|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Sporting events that include full contact
- Stiff neck
- Neck pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Shoulder pain and stiffness
- Decreased range of neck motion
- Muscle spasms
- Pain, numbness, or tingling extending down an arm
- Unusual fatigue
- Use an ice pack for the first few days, then switch to a heat pack. Apply for 15-20 minutes at a time, several times a day. Place a towel between the ice or heat pack and your skin.
Medications such as:
- Over-the-counter pain relievers
- Prescription pain relievers
- Muscle relaxants
- Moving as able—strict rest may slow recovery
- Physical therapy and exercises
- Joint manipulation of the spine done by a chiropractor or other trained provider
FamilyDoctor.org - American Academy of Family Physicians http://familydoctor.org
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons http://orthoinfo.org
Canadian Orthopaedic Association http://www.coa-aco.org
Healthy Canadians http://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca
Cervical sprain. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php. Updated May 25, 2013. Accessed June 10, 2013.
Conlin A, Bhogal S, et al. Treatment of whiplash-associated disorders--part I: Non-invasive interventions. Pain Research & Management. 10(1):21-32, 2005.
Conlin A, Bhogal S, et al. Treatment of whiplash-associated disorders--part II: Medical and surgical interventions. Pain Research & Management. 10(1):33-40, 2005.
Curatolo M, Arendt-Nielsen L, et al. Evidence, mechanisms, and clinical implications of central hypersensitivity in chronic pain after whiplash injury. Clinical Journal of Pain. 20(6):469-76, 2004 Nov-Dec.
Neck sprain. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Ortho Info website. Available at: http://orthoinfo.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00410. Updated August 2007. Accessed June 10, 2013.
NINDS whiplash information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke website. Available at: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/whiplash/whiplash.htm. Updated September 19, 2012. Accessed June 10, 2013.
Verhagen AP, Scholten-Peeters GG, et al. Conservative treatments for whiplash. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. (2):CD003338, 2007.
- Reviewer: Teresa Briedwell, DPT, OCS
- Review Date: 06/2013 -
- Update Date: 06/24/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.