(Pleural Fluid Aspiration; Pleural Tap)
- Therapeutic thoracentesis—to relieve the symptoms of fluid accumulation
- Diagnostic thoracentesis—to test for the cause of the fluid build-up
Reasons for Procedure
- Collapsed lung
- Fluid building up again
- Damage to the lung, liver or spleen
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
Description of the Procedure
|Placement of Thoracentesis Needle|
|© 2011 Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
How Long Will It Take?
Will It Hurt?
Call Your Doctor
- Signs of infection, including fever and chills
- Redness, swelling, increasing pain, excessive bleeding, or any discharge from the insertion site
- Pain that you cannot control with the medicatons you've been given
- Cough, shortness of breath, or chest pain
- Coughing up blood
- Pain when taking a deep breath
American Lung Association http://www.lung.org
American Thoracic Society http://patients.thoracic.org
The Canadian Institutes of Health Information http://www.cihi.ca
The Lung Association http://www.lung.ca
Explore thoracentesis? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute website. Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/thor. Updated February 24, 2012. Accessed February 18, 2015.
Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine. 16th ed. McGraw-Hill; 2005.
Mason RJ. Murray & Nadel's Textbook of Respiratory Medicine. 4th ed. WB Saunders; 2005.
Roberts JR. Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine. 4th ed. WB Saunders; 2004.
Thoracentesis. Johns Hopkins Medicine website. Available at: http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthlibrary/test%5Fprocedures/pulmonary/thoracentesis%5F92,P07761. Accessed February 18, 2015.
Thoracentesis. The Merck Manual Professional Edition website. Available at: http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/pulmonary%5Fdisorders/diagnostic%5Fpulmonary%5Fprocedures/thoracentesis.html. Updated September 2013. Accessed February 18, 2015.
6/3/2011 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed : Mills E, Eyawo O, et al. Smoking cessation reduces postoperative complications: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Med. 2011;124(2):144-154.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 02/2014 -
- Update Date: 03/15/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.