Good Food Sources of Vitamin B6
Vitamin B6 content
|Fortified breakfast cereal||3/4 cup||0.5-2.0 (check Nutrition Facts label)|
|Oatmeal, instant||1 packet||0.74|
|Potato, baked with skin||1 medium||0.70|
|Chicken breast, skinless, roasted||3 ounces||0.5|
|Garbanzo beans (chickpeas)||1/2 cup||0.57|
|Pork loin, broiled||3 ounces||0.39|
|Top sirloin, broiled||3 ounces||0.39|
|Halibut, broiled||3 ounces||0.34|
|Rainbow trout, cooked||3 ounces||0.29|
|Brown rice, cooked||1 cup||0.28|
|Sweet potato, baked with skin||1 medium||0.27|
|Sunflower seeds, dry roasted||1 ounce||0.23|
|Kidney beans, cooked||1/2 cup||0.18|
|Lentils, cooked||1/2 cup||0.18|
|Tuna, canned in water||3 ounces||0.18|
|Peanut butter||2 tablespoons||0.15|
|Lima beans, cooked||1/2 cup||0.10|
|Soybeans, cooked||1/2 cup||0.05|
- Sprinkle kidney beans or garbanzo beans on a salad.
- In the morning, opt for a fortified breakfast cereal.
- Slice a banana into your oatmeal, cereal, or yogurt.
- Have fish for dinner a few times a week.
- Choose brown rice instead of white, and mix lentils with the rice.
- For a different sandwich, try peanut butter and banana.
- If you take a vitamin supplement, make sure it contains vitamin B6—but no more than 100% of the RDA. Also, talk to your doctor before starting a new supplement.
American Dietetic Association http://www.eatright.org/
US Department of Agriculture http://www.usda.gov/
Canadian Council of Food and Nutrition http://www.ccfn.ca/
Dietitians of Canada http://www.dietitians.ca/
de Planter Bowes A, Thompson Pennington J, Church H.Bowes & Church's Food Values of Portions Commonly Used. 17th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 1998.
Duyff R. The American Dietetic Association's Complete Food & Nutrition Guide. Minneapolis, MN: Chronimed Publishing; 1998.
EBSCO CAM Review Board. Vitamin B6. EBSCO Natural and Alternative Treatments website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/biomedical-libraries/natural-alternative-treatments. Updated August 2011. Accessed May 30, 2012.
Pyridoxine. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated May 16, 2011. Accessed May 30, 2012.
- Reviewer: Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 05/2012 -
- Update Date: 05/30/2012 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.