Good Food Sources of Vitamin B6
Vitamin B6 content
|Fortified breakfast cereal||¾ cup||0.5 (check Nutrition Facts label)|
|Bulgur, cooked||1 cup||0.2|
|Potatoes, boiled||1 cup||0.4|
|Chicken breast, skinless, roasted||3 ounces||0.5|
|Garbanzo beans (chickpeas)||1 cup||1.1|
|Beef liver, pan fried||3 ounces||0.9|
|Turkey, roasted||3 ounces||0.4|
|Salmon, sockeye, cooked||3 ounces||0.6|
|White rice, cooked||1 cup||0.1|
|Squash, winter, baked||½ cup||0.2|
|Ground beef, patty, 85% lean||0.3||0.3|
|Waffles, plain, toasted||1 waffle||0.3|
|Cottage cheese, 1% low-fat||1 cup||0.2|
|Nuts, mixed, dry-roasted||1 ounce||0.1|
|Raisins, seedless||½ cup||0.1|
|Spinach, frozen, boiled||½ cup||0.1|
|Watermelon, raw||1 cup||0.1|
|Spaghetti sauce||1 cup||0.4|
- Sprinkle garbanzo beans on a salad.
- In the morning, opt for a fortified breakfast cereal.
- Slice a banana into your oatmeal, cereal, or yogurt.
- Have fish for dinner a few times a week.
- Choose brown rice instead of white. Mix lentils with the rice.
- For a different sandwich, try peanut butter and banana.
- If you take a vitamin supplement, make sure it contains vitamin B6—but no more than 100% of the RDA. Also, talk to your doctor before starting a new supplement.
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics http://www.eatright.org
US Department of Agriculture http://www.usda.gov
Dietitians of Canada http://www.dietitians.ca
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Vitamin B6. EBSCO Natural and Alternative Treatments website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/biomedical-libraries/natural-alternative-treatments. Updated August 2013. Accessed March 4, 2014.
Pyridoxine. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated January 18, 2013. Accessed March 4, 2014.
Vitamin B6. Oregon State University's Linus Pauling Institute website. Available at: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminB6/. Published February 2002. Accessed March 4, 2014.
Vitamin B6. NIH Office of Dietary Supplements website. Available at: http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminB6-HealthProfessional/. Updated September 15, 2011. Accessed March 4, 2014.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 03/2014 -
- Update Date: 03/04/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.