Diagnosis of Hearing Loss
- Location of the problem —This will be determined through testing.
- Degree of loss —This will also be determined through testing.
- Cause —It is not always possible to identify the exact cause of hearing loss. If a cause can be found, this information can help guide treatment.
Hearing loss. NIH SeniorHealth website. Available at: http://nihseniorhealth.gov/hearingloss/hearinglossdefined/01.html . Accessed September 18, 2013.
Hearing screening. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association website. Available at: http://www.asha.org/public/hearing/testing/default.htm?print=1 . Accessed September 18, 2013.
Isaacson JE, Vora NM. Differential diagnosis and treatment of hearing loss. Am Fam Physician. 2003;68:1125-1132.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 09/2014 -
- Update Date: 09/17/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.