Symptoms of Genital Herpes
- Local or regional pain
- Discomfort during urination
- Body aches
- Swollen lymph glands
Primary Outbreak and Recurrence
- Sores that start to form where the virus was contracted and entered the body
- Sores that begin as small red bumps
- Sores or blisters that appear and occur in clusters or small groupings
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Lesions that appear on other parts of the body.
- Psychological problems—Genital herpes can cause distress, depression, and anxiety.
- Neonatal herpes—Pregnant women can transmit genital herpes to their newborns during childbirth.
- Urinary problems—The inside of the urethra may become affected, causing burning when passing urine. Lesions inside the urethra may cause difficulty with passing urine, or block urine flow completely.
- Proctitis—Lesions can spread to the rectum or begin there from anal intercourse. Proctitis causes pain, anal discharge and bleeding, and lower abdominal cramping.
- Rare complications include:
Beauman JG. Genital herpes: A review. Am Fam Physician. 2005;72(8):1527-1534.
Genital herpes—CDC fact sheet. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/std/herpes/stdfact-herpes-detailed.htm. Updated February 13, 2013. Accessed October 15, 2014.
Herpes genitalis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated September 8, 2014. Accessed October 15, 2014.
Workowski KA, Berman S, et al. Sexually transmitted diseases treatment guidelines, 2010. MMWR. 2010;59(No. RR-12):1-110.
- Reviewer: David Horn, MD
- Review Date: 05/2014 -
- Update Date: 10/15/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.