Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
|White Blood Cells|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Benzene—common in agriculture, paint manufacture, and dye manufacture
- Agent Orange—an herbicide used in the Vietnam war
- Family history of CLL or cancer of the lymphatic system
- Relatives who are Russian Jews or Eastern European Jews
- Exposure to Agent Orange
- Painless swelling in the neck, underarms, stomach, or groin
- Paleness—a sign of anemia
- Easy bruising or bleeding
- Pain or a feeling of fullness below the ribs
- Unexplained weight loss
- Reduced exercise tolerance
- Bone pain
- Enlargement of liver and spleen
- Blood tests
- Bone marrow biopsy
- Lumbar puncture
- Routine microscopic exam
- Bone, blood marrow, lymph node tissue, or cerebrospinal fluid tests
- Cytogenetic analysis
Monoclonal Antibody Therapy
Chemotherapy With Stem Cell Transplant
Treatment of Side Effects
- A reduction in red blood cells that can lead to anemia
- Reduced numbers of platelets that assist in blood clotting—thrombocytopenia
- Decreased numbers of the white blood cells that fight infection
American Cancer Society http://www.cancer.org
The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org
BC Cancer Agency http://www.bccancer.bc.ca
Canadian Cancer Society http://www.cancer.ca
Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL). EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated September 23, 2014. Accessed December 9, 2014.
Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (PDQ). National Cancer Institute website. Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/CLL/Patient. Updated November 11, 2014. Accessed December 9, 2014.
Leukemia–chronic lymphocytic. American Cancer Society website. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003111-pdf.pdf. Accessed December 9, 2014.
05/12/2014 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: Davis AS, Viera AJ, et al. Leukemia: An overview for primary care. Am Fam Physician. 2014;89(9):731-738.
- Reviewer: Mohei Abouzied, MD, FACP
- Review Date: 12/2014 -
- Update Date: 12/20/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.