(Amnionitis; Chorioamnion Infection; Intra-amniotic Infection)
|Birthing Complications: Intrauterine (Uterine) Infection|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Increased heart rate in both the mother and the fetus
- Tender uterus
- Discharge with odor from the vagina
- Vaginal delivery would take too long
- Mother shows signs of worsening illness
- Baby shows signs of distress
- Attend regular prenatal check-ups. Call your doctor if you have any questions or concerns.
- Get tested for GBS. This routine vaginal culture is done during your 35th-37th week.
- Take steps to prevent bacterial vaginosis. For example, practice safe sex. Do not use douches or feminine sprays.
- Tell your doctor right away if you have premature rupture of the membranes .
American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists http://www.acog.org
American Pregnancy Association http://americanpregnancy.org
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
The Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada http://www.sogc.org
Alanen A. Polymerase chain reaction in the detection of microbes in amniotic fluid. Ann Med . 1998;30:288-295.
Bacterial vaginosis (BV). EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Updated June 10, 2013. Accessed June 26, 2013.
Bacterial vaginosis—CDC fact sheet. Centers for Disease Control website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/std/BV/STDFact-Bacterial-Vaginosis.htm . Updated September 1, 2010. Accessed June 26, 2013.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Prevention of perinatal group B streptococcal disease. MMWR . 2002;51:13-15.
Chorioamnionitis. Cleveland Clinic Health Information Center website. Available at: http://www.clevelandclinic.org/health/health-info/docs/3800/3857.asp?index=12309 . Accessed June 26, 2013.
Churgay CA, Smith MA, Blok B. Maternal fever during labor—what does it mean? J Am Board Fam Pract . 1994;7:14-24.
Edwards RK. Chorioamnionitis and labor. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am . 2005;32:287-296.
Greenwald J. Premature rupture of the membranes: diagnostic and management strategies. Am Fam Physician 1993.
Protect your baby from group B strep. Centers for Disease Control website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/features/groupbstrep . Updated November 27, 2012. Accessed June 26, 2013.
Use of prophylactic antibiotics in labor and delivery. The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, Practice Bulletin No. 120 . June 2011.
Wellbery C. Neonate CBC and maternal chorioamnionitis. Am Fam Physician . 2005.
- Reviewer: Andrea Chisholm, MD; Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 06/2013 -
- Update Date: 05/11/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.