|Section of Skin with Lichen Planus|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Hepatitis C
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
- Certain prescription medications
- Graft vs. host disease
- Dental materials
- Itching, flat-topped purplish bumps or scaly patches—especially on the palm side of the wrists, the top of the foot and shins, the trunk, or the genitals
- Hair loss
- Abnormal appearance to the nails
- Milky-white, spider web-like patches in your mouth or vagina, with or without burning or discomfort
- Topical or oral antihistamines to relieve itching
- Other topical anti-itching products, such as menthol or eucalyptus oil
- Soothing oatmeal baths
- Retinoids or immunomodulating medications may be useful, particularly for lesions in the mouth or vagina
- Ultraviolet light combined with oral medication has also been effective in widespread or resistant cases
American Academy of Dermatology http://www.aad.org
DermNet NZ http://www.dermnetnz.org
Canadian Dermatology Association http://www.dermatology.ca
Beers MH, Berkow R. The Merck Manual. 17th ed. West Point, PA: Merck & Co; 1999.
Gorouhi F, Solhpour A, et al. Randomized trial of pimecrolimus cream versus triamcinolone acetonide paste in the treatment of oral lichen planus. J Am Acad Dermatol. 200757(5):806-813.
Lichen planus. American Academy of Dermatology website. Available at: https://www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/diseases-and-treatments/i---l/lichen-planus. Accessed December 17, 2013.
Lichen planus. American Osteopathic College of Dermatology website. Available at: http://www.aocd.org/?page=LichenPlanus. Accessed December 17, 2013.
Turan H, Baskan EB, et al. Methotrexate for the treatment of generalized lichen planus. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2009;60(1):164-166.
Wackernagel A, Legat FJ, et al. Psoralen plus UVA vs. UVB-311 nm for the treatment of lichen planus. Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed. 2007;23(1):15-19.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 11/2014 -
- Update Date: 12/17/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.