De Quervain's Tenosynovitis
(De Quervain’s Syndrome; De Quervain’s Disease; Washerwoman’s Sprain)
|De Quervain's Tenosynovitis|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Knitting and needlepoint
- Lifting a baby or young child often
- Pain or tenderness at the base of the thumb
- Pain when pinching
- Swelling over the thumb side of the wrist
- A snapping or catching sensating when moving the thumb
- Numbness on the back of the thumb radiating to the index finger
- Resting the thumb and wrist.
- Use an ice pack for 15-20 minutes at a time. Place a towel between the ice pack and your skin.
- Avoid activity that causes the pain.
- Using a thumb splint to reduce pain and swelling. This allows the wrist to rest.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons http://orthoinfo.org
American College of Sports Medicine http://acsm.org
Canadian Orthopaedic Association http://www.coa-aco.org
Physical Therapy Canada http://www.physicaltherapy.ca
Best treatment for de Quervain's tenosynovitis uncertain. Am Fam Physician. 2003;68(3):536.
Corticosteroid injection for treatment of de Quervain's tenosynovitis: a pooled quantitative literature evaluation. J Am Board Fam Pract. 2003;16(2):102-6.
de Quervain syndrome. Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals website. Available at: http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/musculoskeletal%5Fand%5Fconnective%5Ftissue%5Fdisorders/hand%5Fdisorders/de%5Fquervain%5Fsyndrome.html. Updated March 2013. Accessed May 6, 2013.
de Quervian tendinitis (de Quervian tendinosis). American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Ortho Info website. Available at: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00007. Updated October 2007. Accessed May 6, 2013.
de Quervain tenosynovitis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php. Updated July 13, 2011. Accessed May 6, 2013.
Johnson CA. Occurrence of de Quervain's disease in postpartum women—pain and tenderness in wrist. J Fam Pract. 1991 Mar;32(3):325-7.
- Reviewer: Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 05/2013 -
- Update Date: 05/06/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.