Principal Proposed Uses
Other Proposed Uses
- Liver Protection
- Respiratory Papillomatosis
Indole-3-carbinol (I3C), a chemical found in vegetables of the broccoli family, is thought to possess cancer preventive properties.
Indole-3-carbinol appears to work in several ways:
- Facilitating the conversion of estrogen to a less cancer-promoting form 1-3,6
- Partially blocking the effects of estrogen on cells 4,6,30
- Directly killing or inhibiting cancer cells 6
- Reducing levels of free radicals, which can promote cancer by damaging DNA 5
What Is the Scientific Evidence for Indole-3-Carbinol?
In addition, because it facilitates the inactivation of estrogen, it is possible that I3C might tend to promote osteoporosis in postmenopausal women and could interfere with estrogen therapies (such as birth control pills and hormone replacement therapy). However, this concern is purely theoretical at this time.
Interactions You Should Know About
If you are taking:
- Reviewer: EBSCO CAM Review Board
- Review Date: 08/2013 -
- Update Date: 08/22/2013 -