Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy at Medical City Dallas
Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy is a restrictive procedure that limits the amount of food you can eat by reducing the size of your stomach. The hunger hormone is also reduced, since it is produced in the portion of the stomach which is removed. During this procedure, a thin vertical sleeve of stomach is created using a stapling device. This sleeve will typically hold between 2 to 3 ounces, and is about the size of a banana. The excised portion of the stomach is removed.
- Proven method of weight loss and resulting resolution of many obesity-related conditions
- There is no rerouting of the intestines and so no “Dumping Syndrome”
- Most patients usually lose about 70% of their excess weight
- Can add rerouting of intestine as secondary procedure if necessary to improve long-term results
- Gastroesophageal reflux can be an occasional problem after this surgery
- This procedure is not reversible.