Weight Loss Surgery at Medical City Dallas
Helping people achieve health and happiness since 1979.
The Medical City Dallas Bariatric & Metabolic Institute began offering weight loss surgery in 1979 and a bariatric support group in 1984. It’s the longest continuously running bariatric program in North Texas.
Medical City Dallas offers the full range of bariatric surgical options, including
- Laparoscopic gastric bypass
- Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy
- Laparoscopic gastric banding/revision/removal
- Robotically-assisted gastric bypass surgery
- Robotically-assisted sleeve gastrectomy
Medical City Dallas is an American College of Surgeons designated Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP). Our bariatric surgery specialists and general surgeons, led by Christopher Bell, MD, Bariatric & Metabolic Institute Medical Director, are some of the most experienced in Dallas and our dedicated bariatric team is committed to your lifelong post-surgical needs.
“I’m awesome! I’m on my way to being something I’ve never been before … a medication-free diabetic.” – Donna Baker, who lost one diabetes medication, two blood pressure medications and 35 pounds three months after surgery.
Why choose Medical City Dallas for weight loss surgery?
In addition to MBSAQIP accreditation, Medical City Dallas is:
- An Aetna Institute of Quality for Bariatric Surgery
- A Blue Cross Blue Shield Blue Distinction Center for Bariatric Surgery.
- A Cigna Certified Bariatric Center
- An Optum Bariatric Center of Excellence
Unlike a freestanding surgery center, when you choose Medical City Dallas for your bariatric surgery, you have a multidisciplinary, state-of-the-art hospital full of specialists standing by should any complications arise. This is especially important for patients who suffer from obesity or morbid obesity, as they often have accompanying chronic conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, liver disease, obstructive sleep apnea and more.
Watch our bariatric surgeons discuss how safe weight loss surgery is at Medical City Dallas and why it’s beneficial to have it done in a full-service hospital.
Are You a Candidate for Bariatric Surgery?
Most insurance companies base their criteria on the following NIH Guidelines:
- BMI of 40 or greater
- BMI of 35-40 with significant co-morbidity (one or more chronic conditions that puts you at increased risk for health problems or premature death, such as diabetes, hypertension, obstructive sleep apnea, heart disease, etc.)
- BMI 30-35 with comorbidities (in select cases)
- Documented dietary attempts ineffective
Will Your Insurance Cover Bariatric Surgery?
Insurance benefits and criteria for weight loss surgery vary greatly by plan and by employer. Medical City Dallas’ Financial Advisors would be happy to discuss your specific case with you. To reach them, call (972) 566-6328 between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday or visit Medical City’s Admission Office, located in Building A on the first floor. Self-pay pricing is also available upon request by phone or in person.
Here is a current list of insurance plans accepted by Medical City Dallas. Please check with your provider to confirm you have an eligible plan.
For More Information about Weight Loss Surgery
Call Bariatric Coordinator Heather Hunt at (972) 566-6749 or send her an email.