There is no known cure for schizophrenia, but it is treatable. Treatment approaches are chosen based on their ability to reduce the symptoms of schizophrenia and the chances it will reoccur. Early, aggressive treatment often leads to better outcomes and may delay progression of schizophrenia to psychosis.
Different treatment approaches for schizophrenia include:
- Possible hospitalization during severe episodes
- Medications to control psychosis and conditions that occur with it
- Psychosocial treatments to improve psychological, social, and occupational problems
- Education and support for families of people with schizophrenia
Treatment involves the following:Lifestyle changesMedicationsOther treatments
At this time, surgical procedures are not a treatment option for schizophrenia.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 03/2016 -
- Update Date: 04/29/2016 -